Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentine's Day

I ask you, is any holiday more malicious? I mean, if you have a significant other, fine, happy, peachy. You buy each other small meaningless gifts and look at each other happily. Joy for you. And then there are those of us who are single. First, there's the people that are just a little bit short of starting a relationship... so Valentine's Day is a wonderful time of 'should I get her something? Will she be completely weirded out and never talk to me again?' And then there are the people that just got out of a relationship, where the holiday can bring up fresh and painful memories (either painful because they won't happen any more, or painful because they happened at all). And then there are those of us who have no recent relationships, and no immediate prospects. For us, it seems like the world is pointing and laughing, saying 'ooooh, look what a loser you are! You can't even find a decent relationship! You're going to die alone and unloved!' (For obvious purposes, I am exaggerating).

Is there a solution? Well, I'd like to wipe the holiday off the face of the calendar, after all, the world would be a better place without that much extra pink, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. My personal solution is to either pretend that Haloween (a much superior holiday) comes twice a year, or just dress in black and be very, very sullen. That last one is more fun than it sounds like, really. So yes, I'm glad that Valentine's day as passed, and I'm safe for another year.

Okay, to be honest, I did get chocolates, but it was for both me and my roommate as a consolation/pity gift. So now I have chocolates to eat when I'm depressed about not having a real person to give me chocolate. I don't even LIKE chocolate....

2 Comments:

Blogger City Doll said...

Fantastic! I like the being "very, very, sullen..." idea.

http://citydoll.blogspot.com/

12:37 PM  
Blogger Justhere2020 said...

sounds good to me!

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home