Sunday, March 05, 2006

Of Mice and Men

So yesterday after a horrible day at work, I limped my way home, and decided to check my mail. Inside was a long awaited letter from the Jet Program. This was the letter that would tell me if I got accepted or not. I sat down on a windowsill to steady myself as I pulled it open, and this is what I read:

"This year the Japanese Embassies and Consulates-General in the participating countries recieved thousands of applicants. Hence, competition was extremely rigorous. Consequently, it is with deep regret that I inform you that we were unable to offer you a position on the Program."

You would think I'd be disappointed, but I'm not. In fact, I've never been so pleased over a rejection. I've spent the last month or so fretting over if it was really what I wanted to do, and now that the decision has been taken out of my hands, there is a huge sense of relief. And it's time for other plans.

I'm going to be moving in the next few months. I think I'm finally going to leave Walla Walla behind me. Which also means severing the last connections I have with my college life. I'm going to miss it. I'm also going to miss some people... I've made some very close friends in my time here, and I'll be sad to leave them... But I can't cling to them and to this life forever, so I'm moving towards building another life that I hope I'll like just as much. And I plan to keep this one for a very, very, very long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home